Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Guitar Crazy



So one of my twins has been begging for a Guitar for about two months, I have no idea where this came from. Then of course after she is insistent on a guitar and we run into them all the time. At the grocery store a man is outside with his guitar, she comments. We go to get on the bus and the man that gives me his seat is holding a guitar, she comments. As we are walking down the street we run into a group of ‘Musicos’ (Mexican three piece traveling musical group), she comments.

So my take on kids asking for random things is that they saw it on a TV program or another kid has it and they want one, just to want it. So I have a ‘waiting period’ for things like this.  If it’s a phase it will usually go away after about two months and we all forget about it. If it something that they really want they will be persistent and you will never hear the end of it and apparently you will run into everyone that  owns a guitar within those two months…

As you have probably figured out I am on a tight budget, so extra random things like guitars are usually out of the question. If the begging has been going on for two months or so then I start preparing to borrow or budget for the ‘wanted’ item. So I started reaching out to everyone that I know to see if anyone had a guitar that we could borrow for the week. Just so happens that my nephew had done the same thing to my sister and he had a child size guitar. I didn’t even know that they came in kids sizes... Shows how much I know about the musical instrument department. Growing up my sisters and I took dance lessons and the closest thing to musical instruments was Grandmas organ and violin that we were not allowed to touch.

Ok so back to the guitar… My Mom brought it to my house this weekend and the twins were fighting over it (typical for twins you have to have two of everything…) then I had to break out my kitchen timer and give each a time to play. Like I said I have no musical talent but the guitar sounded horrible! I figured that it was because the girls don’t know how to play, but I let them string away. When my husband got home the girls were still playing the guitar (5 hours later) to a Gypsy Kings CD that they love and he said ‘what in the world?’ I explained and he took the guitar and tuned it. Aww, much better now I can do this for 5 more hours.
One happy Guitar palyin' twin

So it has been three days since we received the borrowed guitar from my nephew who says he has a full size one now and they can long term borrow it Yippy! This brings me to today… It’s 6:30am and my alarm doesn’t go off until 7:30am and I am dreaming of being serenaded by a guitar, my cat scratches me and brings me back to reality. So again it is 6:30am… and a girl is playing a guitar. I have to count my lucky stars that they didn’t want drums or a trumpet.

More on the guitar later… I have to go and find someone to teach them to play it. Turns out my husband just knows how to tune it, how he even knows this is beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment